Review of Tweed Boucle Yarn from IceYarns

Hello, my fellow yarn lovers! A while back I purchased this yarn from IceYarns mostly because it was on sale but also I was very curious about the texture of this yarn, how it knits and what I can make out of it. It has interesting an interesting blend - 25% wool, 48% cotton, 17% acrylic, and 10% polyamide.

 So, just started swatching the yarn and the first set of swatches ended up being socks. I typically do not mind converting my first swatches to socks because I still have the swatch and I can offer my friends, relatives, and customer something new to choose from. 

The pro's of the yarn is that:
- it masks the stitches and your typical stockinette stitch is not all that obvious;
 - for the reason - it masks you possible errors;
 - it has boucle-like interesting texture;
 - it is light;
 - it is not itchy (like some of the wool-containing yarns are).

The cons are:
 - stitches are really hard to count and distinguish;
 - sometimes it is hard to see dropped stitches (but this might be relevant only to this color because it is so dark);
 - the yarn has this interesting cottony feel that I had to get used to;
 - the yarn does not seem all that soft. 


The foot part of the sock was knitted using Navy Blue Mighty Stitch (the yarn from KnitPicks). The combination was very nice and the Mighty Stitch yarn gives this interesting combination of wool presence, strength and softness, I decided to make a hat combining two threads of Bologna Lana and one thread of Mighty Stitch and make a beanie. 

So, after a day of work and three of these threads, size 6.5 circular needles (40 cm total length), 80 (+1) stitches and 2x2 rib stitch, the cute unisex beanie was born! I actually enjoyed knitting this beanie because Mighty Stitch added not only softness and more shape to the yarn, but also eliminated some of the cons I listed above. Like cottony feel, hard-to-distinguish stitches, etc. 




IceYarn offers other colors of this type of yarn as well. Well, I personally think that a combination of pink and brown with particular texture is a bit strange - but yarn and what people can make out of it always surprises me.

 Despite the cons listed above, after I finished a hat, a scarf, and a pair of socks, I ordered three more varieties of this yarn to make nice unisex hats of different colors. Stay tuned for the updates on swatches for the three other varieties of this Bologna Lana yarn.

If you finish reading this post - thank you! Email me and I will send you a 5% coupon to buy this yarn even at better prices than at IceYarns. I am their official reseller. Check it out.














Comments