Excellent yarn for Addi knitting machine - Rainbow Yarn from IceYarns

Hello everybody! I recently bought two Addi
knitting machines and started experimenting with them. So, I found a new way to combine both of my obsessions - trying new yarns from all over the world and knitting them too :)  !

            Today I am reviewing a wonderful yarn from Turkey, which is called Rainbow Winter Sale Yarn with a SKU number 65496. IceYarn.com and YarnParadize sell this yarn. This yarn first seemed too thin for me - these days I like knitting quickly using double or triple folded yarn. So, I first got a small batch of it while it was on sale because it had such an attractive texture and then bought a larger supply.


It is made in Turkey and has an interesting thread consisting out of two individual threads. Both threads have interesting boucle texture to them, which, in my opinion, makes this yarn so wonderful for the Addi machine. The total fiber content is 30% of wool30% of acrylic, and  40% of polyamide. First, I thought that maybe each of the two individual threads is made from different fibers but after examining both threads, they seem the same.

So, I first tried it on my small Addi Machine and got really good results. Even with just one ply (just using one skein and not two like I do for other very thin yarns), I got a very nice and stretchy texture. The one layer was however very thin and see-through (which is better seen in my YouTube Video).

However, when I knitted a scarf on my larger Addi Knitting machine, the automatically formed double layer (I knitted the scarf on a circular mode) was thick enough not to be see-through but still thin enough to keep nice texture and be very warm and nice to the skin. The yarn also shows some sort of abstract yet still regular self-striping. I like this hue so much that I am thinking of making a matching hat and a sweater (but probably will use two threads).

So, two skeins on all 46 needles of Addi King-size machine made such a great scarf in no time! There was very limited yarn skipping (I just had to hold the yarn in a certain way) like some of the double-thread yarns do. And I liked it a lot! It helped me not to restart the work and make this scarf very quickly. So, just knit until you run out of the two skeins and then just tie-up the ends and your scarf is ready!

I think one of the reasons the yarn was so great on Addi Machine is actually its boucle texture. I tried other boucle yarns (not yet posted) and they were great!
So, below are several recommendations on which yarns can behave similarly well on Addi Machine (not all of them I tried yet - either by hand or on a machine).



This yarn is similar in thickness. It is called Krista Blue and IceYarns offers variety of other colors. It is 100% acrylic. I have not tried it yet but I think it should do well if used as 3-4 ply.

Buy it on ice yarn or check it soon in my store.


 This yarn was fun to work by hand but I had to use 4 threads at once. It is thin (400 m per 30g) but it has some mohair blend in it, which helps the individual threads to stick together better and not to split during knitting on Addi. This yarn is offered in different colors and it is next on my AddiReview channel. two colors of this yarn will be soon available in my Etsy store.


 The two yarns to the right (greenish and pinkish) are Kids Mohair Punto yarn, which I thought was very similar to the rainbow yarn but I have tried it on the AddiMachine yet. It is also double-thread and if two or more skeins are combined, the mohair will provide enough friction for the threads not to split during knitting on Addi.

This yarn is thicker (120 m per 50 g) than the rainbow yarn I review above, but it has some boucle texture to it.  I already tried several boucle yarns and I find them very-very forgiving on Addi: the final product has a nice stretch and then there's are not skipping even if two or more skeins are knitted at once. So, I think it should do really well on Addi as well.
And last but not least two yarns that I am going to try next on Addi is a yarn shown on the left and the orange yarn below.  

The yarn to the left also has a nice boucle-like texture that will stretch nicely during knitting on Addi. The yarn below in my opinion have exactly the same characteristics as the Rainbow yarn, the hero of this block, but in addition, it has mohair addition, which will help to keep the yarn from sliding from the red mid-posts on Addi. 
 I also like that both yarns are self-striping, which would make excellent items on Add. 


Let me know how your projects turned out! Stay tun for more reviews!


















Comments