Review of Wool DK Rainbow (and other) yarn from IceYarn: 56205

I am always looking for yarns I can try on my knitting machines.  (I own both Addi machines and Brother KX350). On top of that, I like using wool-yarn because, in my opinion, they create the best hat, gloves, scarves, and sweaters... Each skein contains 1.76 oz and 191 yards (50 g and 171 meters). Recommended needles are 3-6 mm. Classified as 3 Light: DK, Worsted, Light. 

This yarn has an interesting cotton-like feel yet contains 50% wool and 50% acrylic. Does not feel itchy at all.

 When I saw this yarn on IceYarn website, I wanted to try it but was worried that it might be too thin. I purchased two rainbow varieties, lighter and darker:                                               

                                                       56205               and                   56213

       


I first wanted to see how the rainbow would pattern so I did a quick swatch on the small Addi. The thread itself is indeed thin to feel and to knit. But the swatch turned out pretty good but loose in my opinion (the picture below shows the double-layered one; a single layer is see-through) :


I still liked the texture and the self-patterning/self-striping it created and designed a hat with a second internal layer a bit denser and bright to make the somewhat pale rainbow fabric. 

So, I started experimenting on big Addi, and the experiment later converted to a neck warmer. I knitted 30-40 rows of the rainbow first, then with the orange baby wool yar another 30-40 layres.  After I cast off, I inserted one layer into another one (to have a double-layered neck warmer) and I hand-knitted the neck warmer flaps. First with the rainbow yarn using 2.75 needles (I know the recommended needle size is 3 mm but I knit continentally and somewhat loose. Plus I wanted a denser texture). After the rainbow layer was done, I finished the flaps as separate petals with the orange baby yarn.
  


The hat was made on big Addi only. I started with knitting the flaps on two separate parts of the 46 needles. Then I added stitches and knitted until the desired depth was achieved. The internal layer was knitted the exact way. I inserted one layer into another, crocheted around the edges and made a pom pom. 


I think the top rainbow color and the bottom orange went together very well. The internal orange layer not only provided softness (that the top layer lacked) and additional warmth and insulation but also made the top color stand out more. 

The whole set is now available at my Etsy store.



I even tried it on my Brothers XK350. Since I could adjust the tension, I was able to get less loose fabric but I am still thinking about what to knit from it on my KX350.

IceYarn offers three other combinations, including two other rainbow combos and also blue/green/yellow and pink/salmon/red. The last color combination shown below is on my next-project list. I love its coral/flamingo-like hues. It would be excellent for another hat for a girl.

  

I only made a hat and a neckwarmer but I think it will be excellent for light-weight gloves, mittens, and even socks. 



Comments